Wednesday 22 April 2015

Little arms around my neck

This evening as we said our goodnight's, my little people came and hugged me as they usually do before bed. I've been waiting impatiently for them to get home all afternoon. Every car that drives past my kitchen window is followed with the turn of my head, where are they and why aren't they home yet?
I'm full of expectation, waiting for that initial burst of jubilant hysteria that I've become so familiar with. 

The last 4 hours have consisted of the usual dinner preparations, homework and shower marathon that usually ends in a dramalama between the two kids as they wrestle for the soap. 

We have a tradition that we've started that I borrowed from a Jewish lady who does my Reiki sessions with me. "Spend one evening a week with your family, light a candle and say prayers." she advised. To be honest, it's not a weekly thing but now a daily event that takes place. 

We light a big red Balsam & Berries candle and take turns sharing our highlights of the day, lessons we've learned and things that have made us happy. The rules: No one is allowed to interrupt (challenge accepted) nor to rush the person sharing. In short, we reconnect every night, and then it's back to the chaos and madness that drifts us apart from one another as soon as we're excused from the table. 

Being consistent helps

I mentioned in a previous post, that there is no manual to this thing called Parenting. There is no manual for life, no amount of preparation for the challenges we may face until we're in the situation. This has been the biggest lesson and test in the area of self discipline for me. We tend too often to let go and give up too easily, coming up with an easier alternative. Take your challenges, make them your own and then conquer them through perseverance. 

Tonight my little people hugged me tightly. Their bodies didn't move away as quickly as they normally do. My hands stroking both their backs as they rest their little heads on each shoulder. Tonight something is different. I jokingly ask if they are still awake, "Oh yes." they reply, clearly compos mentis enough to retort with a response. My hands continue in a nurturing fashion up and down each back, my arms shaking slightly from the position I hold. 
I won't let go until they do. 

It's in the small things

This isn't an easy job, this raising children thing. I've felt an assortment of emotions within an hour that I would typically only experience in a week. Eldest smacks his brother (frustration) followed by youngest wrapping his arms around my waist as I cook (love) followed by dad reprimanding both for fighting in the shower (agitation) then hearing grace being said with gratitude to me for making dinner (appreciation). 

Then it's back to those little arms around my neck. A huge sigh of relief knowing I can catch up with myself, my outstanding sales report and time with daddy as they drift off to Dreamland.

A time, when silence fills the house until one of us cracks a joke and giggles follow, it's adult time. I'll miss them, a little, and then tomorrow morning we start again. The balancing act, bickering and squabbles over toothpaste and the case of the missing sock/bag/jersey/lunchbox. 

This evening as we said our good nights, my little people came and hugged me as they usually do before bed - and I'm grateful. 










No comments:

Post a Comment